Four more UK servicemen killed in Afghanistan
The Ministry of Defence has announced that four British servicemen have been killed in separate incidents in Afghanistan, all within the past 24 hours. The death toll among those from the UK armed services is now at 322 since the war began in 2001.
One soldier from the Royal Logistics Corps died during an explosion in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand province, while three others; a Royal Dragoon Guards soldier, a marine, and an RAF airman were killed in other incidents. The Ministry of Defence announced that like the Royal Logistics Corps serviceman, the Royal Dragoon Guards soldier was also killed by an explosion in the Najr-e Saraj district.
According to Lieutenant Colonel James Carr-Smith, spokesperson for Task Force Helmand, the Royal Logistics soldier was part of a team responsible for clearing IEDs from a route in the southern part of the district. He said that the soldier died while working to protect the local population in Nahr-e Saraj, and that he was a very brave and courageous young man.
Lieutenant Smith also gave details regarding the Royal Dragoon Guards soldier who was killed on Saturday, and said the man had been working as part of a foot patrol which was providing security at the construction site of new roads and secure bases when the explosion occurred. He went on to add that the soldier will be greatly missed by his many friends, and will not be forgotten.