Prince Philip Returns Home after Heart Operation
Just four days after having an emergency heart operation, Prince Philip was released from hospital and returned home on Tuesday. The Duke of Edinburgh, 90, greeted camera crews and reporters with a wave as he was taken to the royal family’s Sandringham Christmas gathering, following his thanks to medical staff for such great care.
There had been rumours in the past about the Queen’s consort having heart problems. Last Friday evening he experienced chest pains, and these were followed with a “minimally invasive procedure” that involved inserting a metal mesh stent tube into a coronary artery to improve blood flow. This has been the most serious sign of ill health so far.
A spokeswoman for Buckingham Palace says that there haven’t been any decisions about his future engagements. Next spring and summer will be busy with events across the UK in celebration of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, and he is due to travel with her throughout the country. At least he will get some time during the holiday period to rest first, as the Queen and Prince Philip have few public engagements.
This year, the Duke carried out 300 public engagements, which is more than the rest of the royals. These followed a vow at his 90th birthday that he would cut back. In an interview, he said that he wants to enjoy himself a little with less preparation, responsibilities, frantic rushing around and trying to think of what to say. He also noted that his memory was going - like people’s names - adding that he wants to wind down and get rid of some responsibilities.